Asia, a land of wonders - these are my thoughts, experiences and travel tips from SE Asia

Thursday, October 20, 2011

Bangkok flooding reported as unavoidable

Bangkok flooding reported as unavoidable

Latest updates on the situation for Thursday, 20 October 2011, are saying that a vast amount of floodwater will definitely occupy Bangkok as several sections of the floodwall along the Raphipat canal have been damaged. This comes from a Royal Irrigation Department (RID) engineering division chief for Northern Rangsit.

There were cracks from the first to the fifth canal and floodwaters had already surged into Pathum Thani's Khlong Luang and Thanyaburi districts, RID officials said.

"The water will certainly reach Bangkok because the barricades surrounding the Chulalongkorn floodgate are not as strong as the dykes at Raphipat." 
Mr. Chuchart said.

News coming in at around 5:00PM Bangkok time says different tho in regards to Bangkok flooding.

About 90 per cent of Bangkok will not be flooded, Justice Minister and Flood Relief Operations Centre director Pracha P. said on Thursday afternoon.

"I'm confident that 90 per cent of Bangkok will not be flooded but authorities will continue monitoring the remaining 10 per cent of the capital city."

"After overseeing the flood situation from helicopter this morning, the situation remains stable," Pol Gen Pracha said after visiting a temporary shelter in Don Mueang airport.

The people living in the inner Bangkok should not be worried about the flooding.

* Eastern Bangkok sacrificed:

* Previous days updates and maps are here:

No comments:

Post a Comment